When and were will Wordplay take place?
Wordplay 2019 is May 11 & 12 from 10 a.m.–5 p.m. both days. It’s an indoor and outdoor festival with events in and around the Open Book building, at the Mill City Museum, and in the Guthrie Theater. See a festival map here.
Which authors are coming to Wordplay?
How should I get to Wordplay? Where can I park?
Find our festival map here. Wordplay does NOT have a dedicated parking lot, but paid lot and street parking is available nearby, and is labeled on our map.
NOTE: Parking is tricky in Downtown East, so we highly encourage you to walk, bike, or take public transit to Wordplay! If you’re taking the bus or light rail, you can use MetroTransit’s trip planner. If you’re cycling, we’ll have a bike valet to park your ride on-site, courtesy of Northern Coffeeworks.
What’s there to do at Wordplay?
There are tons of ways to participate in Wordplay:
- Buy a wristband to attend our street festival on May 11 & 12 for access to staged interviews, conversations, and discussions with your favorite authors. The street festival also features a children’s area, book sales, food trucks, and a beer garden. See the schedule here.
- Sign up for a Loft class with a visiting Wordplay author! The Loft is hosting special workshops with select authors. See the full class list and register here.
- Kick off the weekend with a concert at First Avenue on the evening of May 10, featuring the Rock Bottom Remainders—a rock band of authors including Stephen King, Amy Tan, Mitch Albom, and more. Buy tickets via the First Avenue website here. (NOTE: This event is sold out.)
- Attend Lit Crawl on Saturday night! This pub crawl-style evening features tons of zany literary events, and is FREE and open to the public. More info coming soon.
How do I buy a ticket to Wordplay? How much does it cost?
Every attendee is required to wear a wristband for admission to the Wordplay street festival. You can buy a wristband at the festival. You can also pre-order a wristband by purchasing online, visiting the Loft office, or calling us at (612) 215-2575. Wristbands are available at four tiers:
- 17 and Under: FREE
- Street Festival Access: $10
- Street Festival + Guthrie Access: $40 (NOTE: This tier is sold out.)
- Premier Access: $250
Learn more about what comes with each wristband tier and pre-order your wristband here.
Okay, I pre-ordered a wristband. How do I get it?
If you pre-ordered your wristband, you have two options for pickup:
1) Come to the Loft office to pick up your wristband before Wordplay. Wristbands will be available for pickup starting Tuesday, April 30 during our normal business hours (Tues-Fri, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.). We’ll also have extended hours for wristband pickup on the following days:
- Saturday, May 4 | 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Monday – Friday, May 6 – 10 | 9 a.m. – 7 p.m.
2) Pick up your wristband at Wordplay. Will call and ticket sales will open at the festival on Saturday, May 11 at 8 a.m. Festival gates open at 9 a.m.
If you can, we highly recommend picking up your wristband in advance to avoid the lines!
I don’t live in Minnesota and/or can’t make it to the Loft before Wordplay. Can you mail me my wristband?
Nope, sorry! You can pick up your wristband at will call on the day of the festival.
I’m planning to buy a wristband at the festival. How does that work?
Day-of wristband sales will be available at the box office tent, located at S 10th St. and Washington Ave. You can look at a festival map here. NOTE: Our box office will accept credit cards only. To purchase a wristband with cash, you must buy in advance.
Can I buy a ticket for an individual Wordplay event?
Does my wristband guarantee seating at events?
The only wristband that guarantees event access is the Premier Access wristband, which guarantees access to Guthrie events. Seating at each event is available on a first-come, first-served basis. Standing in line for an event does not guarantee entry.
How do the $5 book vouchers work?
With the exception of youth wristbands, every Wordplay wristband includes a $5 book voucher. These vouchers can be used to buy books from festival booksellers at Wordplay on May 11 & 12. Wordplay book vouchers are nontransferable, cannot be exchanged for cash, and are limited to one per attendee. (For example, you cannot use three $5 vouchers to purchase one $15 book.)
Can I volunteer at the festival?
Yes! Thanks for your interest in making this event happen! You can sign up to volunteer here.
What is the best way to stay informed on Wordplay updates?
Subscribe to The Loft’s monthly e-news and continue to check online for the latest news! Find us on Facebook, Twitter (@loftliterary), and Instagram (@loftliterarycenter), and follow the hashtag #loftwordplay on social media.
I'm a journalist who'd like to cover Wordplay. Who should I contact?
Please send all Wordplay-related press requests to Megan Anderson at firstname.lastname@example.org.