Manuscript CritiqueMaggie May—Academic & Technical Writing, Short Fiction, and Manuscript Critique
Open to: Academic Writing, Essays, Journalistic Writing, Technical Writing, Short Fiction (Short Stories, Flash Fiction), and Manuscript Critique (Fiction, Creative Nonfiction, Memoir)
Limit: 200,000 words
What You’ll Submit: Your full draft in .doc or .docx format (Google Docs OK). Please do not send PDFs, password-protected documents, or files that need to be downloaded.
What You’ll Get: Initial consultation via email (phone/Zoom available upon request), page-by-page commentary, full critique write-up for the author (typically ~1 page for shorter pieces, 2-3+ pages for long-form writing).
- For academic writing: I identify the thesis (or help flesh it out if it’s not well-defined) and focus on supporting information, proper citations, and general word flow/grammar/rhythm to make it easy to read.
- For technical writing: My biggest focus is on jargon – taking anything industry-complicated and putting it into words non-experts can understand. I also pay special attention to supporting information, any kind of flow charts or guidance steps to make sure they’re clear, and present clarifying questions that I would have as a reader or first-time user.
- For fiction/creative nonfiction: I pay special attention to plot, dialogue, word flow/rhythm, grammar, characterization, etc.
- Academic Essays & Technical Writing: $75/base fee + $0.03 per word
- Short fiction: $60/base fee + $0.03 per word
- Manuscript critique: $125/base fee + $0.01 per word
- Per-project quotes available upon request! If your project doesn’t fall under these base categories, get in touch and I will see what I can do for you
- Up to 3,000 words: Approximately 1 week
- 3,000 – 25,000 words: Up to 2 weeks
- 25,000 – 50,000 words: Up to 3 weeks
- 50,000 – 100,000 words: Up to 4 weeks
- 100,000+ words: Up to 6 weeks
Praise From Past Clients:
Kiersten M. says: “Maggie May’s attention to detail, her creative acumen, and her enthusiasm for our mission make her an excellent storyteller and wordsmith. Maggie is a force to be reckoned with!”
Jamerien B. says: “Maggie is an exceptionally gifted writer and editor. She’s creative, organized, takes fabulous direction, and delivers quality content on time, even early, and never late. We cannot thank Maggie enough for being such an integral part in the growth and success of our business. She is truly a gem.”
Halle E. says: “Maggie is such a great writer - she has the ability to absorb my style and reflect it back to me, whether she’s reworking a piece I wrote into a new format or writing from a concept. She’s also an idea person - coming up with creative brainstorming, sometimes even before being asked. She thinks on her feet and she’s great in every content medium. In every case, her attention to detail and consistent results shine.”