Call for Teaching Artists: The Witness Project
THE WITNESS PROJECT
Call for Teaching Artists
The Witness Project is a program of community-based writing initiatives with a home-base on Minneapolis’s Northside. Our free generative workshops are designed for creative writers of all experience levels, from absolute beginners to advanced writers. Our community of writers is committed to inclusiveness and support. In 2021, Witness writers are exploring different aspects of the theme history. In the fall we will be exploring this theme in the context of cross-generational experience and perspectives. We are in search of guest teaching artists to facilitate workshops that address the history theme, with particular attention given to the cross-generational context.
If you are a literary artist/teaching artist who might be interested in this opportunity, please note the following details and follow the guidelines provided:
This opportunity is to facilitate a two-hour generative creative writing workshop for up to 20 participating writers and to facilitate a 60-90 minute follow-up revision session.
- Possible dates for the dual sessions are: September 11 & 25; October 2 & 16; November 6 & 20; December 4 & 18. Teaching artists must be available to facilitate both sessions in a given month.
- All sessions are on Saturday mornings and start at 10:00 AM and end by noon.
- Currently, all workshops convene via Zoom. If circumstances permit, we may host some or all fall workshops on site at UROC, 2001 Plymouth Ave. North, Minneapolis.
- We welcome different styles of teaching and different approaches to the theme, but teaching artists must build in time for participants to write and discuss. We are not looking for lecture-style classes. Team-teaching is permitted, but in such cases, the stipend must be shared.
- Experience facilitating workshops with youth, elders, and/or cross-generational groups is desireable. For these four workshops, preference will be given to persons who have not served as a paid teaching artists for the Witness Project in the last year (July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021).
- Guest teaching artists will receive a stipend of $250.
- Deadline for applying is July 1, 2021.
- TO APPLY, please send a letter of interest to the Witness Writers Advisory Board at email@example.com.
- Include in your letter, or in an attached 1-2 page resumé, information about your relevant workshop/teaching experience.
- Also please share with us in a few sentences any thoughts you have about how you might interpret or approach the theme.
- Finally, tell us on which of the four date pairings you would be available to teach.
Please address any questions to us at firstname.lastname@example.org