Timeline and Prizes
Timeline for 2018-2019 Competition
- September 2018–December 15, 2018—Classroom and School competitions
- January 7, 2019—Deadline: School winner information due to The Loft Literary Center—Register here.
- March 5 & 6, 2019—Minnesota Semi-Finals: Target Performance Hall, Open Book, 2nd Floor, 1011 Washington Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- March 7, 2019, 5 p.m.—MN State Competition: Target Performance Hall, Open Book, 2nd Floor, 1011 Washington Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN 55415
- One student from this competition will go on to represent Minnesota at national finals; one runner-up alternate named
- April 29-May 1, 2019—Poetry Out Loud National Competition, Washington, DC
The winner of the state competition will be awarded $200 and an all-expenses-paid trip to Washington, DC, for the national competition. The expenses also include accommodations for one adult chaperone to accompany the student. In addition to the prize and trip, the Minnesota winner’s school will be awarded with a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books. The winner and their teacher will each also win a $100 Loft gift certificate.
The runner-up at the state competition will receive $100 and his/her school will receive $200 to purchase poetry books for their library.
All participating students will receive poetry books donated by some of Minnesota’s top literary organizations and independent presses.
The national champion will receive $20,000 to put toward college tuition, bringing the grand total of scholarships and school stipends awarded to student participants to $50,000.